Come work with a dynamic and growing team of people who are focused on serving their clients with tax preparation and bookkeeping services. While most people are intimidated by numbers and columns, you find them a fascinating source of information and insight. You love helping people manage their money, run their business and prepare their taxes. Working with integrity and focus, you support our clients so they can do their best.
The successful candidate:
- Develops and maintains relationships with clients
- Sets up client files, assists with the completion of budgets and other administrative planning
- Ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating and entering transactions as per the client’s needs
- Meets all government remittance deadlines (i.e. Payroll source deductions, PST remittance, GST remittances, WCB, T4’s, T4A’s, T5018’s)
- Accurately completes year-end files prior to forwarding to Accountant for tax preparation
- Performs the month-end and quarter-end close process timely and accurately
- Maintains, monitors and reconciles GL accounts, including but not limited to cash, bank reconciliations, prepaid expenses, accounts receivable, accounts payable, accrued liabilities, intercompany and point of sale (POS)/system uploads
- Identifies issues and errors, investigates discrepancies, discusses with manager and develops resolutions to resolve issues and errors
- Communicates with government agencies regarding information requests, assessments and installments
- Works with accounting and tax software and provides support to clients
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Contributes to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes
- 5 years of bookkeeping experience
A certificate or diploma in accounting would be considered an asset
Working knowledge of trial balances, general ledger (GL) databases, financial statement close processes and accounting matters
Experience in preparing T4s and T5s and knowledge of personal and corporate tax is preferred
Understanding of payroll, bookkeeping and record keeping practices on a manual and computerized system(s)
Experience working with Cantax, Quickbooks and Simply Accounting software
Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft 365
Integrity is not a characteristic but a way of life. We demonstrate our qualities of integrity by:
We act together and support one another so that our clients can do their best.
APPROACHABLE & WELCOMING
We create an open and honest atmosphere where you – and our clients – can be comfortable.
We stay current on the rules, protocols and procedures – so our clients can rely on our expertise.
PROMOTE COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
We believe in supporting our clients by being their customer, and in supporting the communities where we all live and work.
All Canwest Accounting team members receive medical and dental benefits, sick time and vacation pay. To apply for this position, please send your resume, cover letter and salary expectations by December 8th, 2017 to [email protected] with the subject “Senior Bookkeeper”.